Monday, March 19, 2012

Think Spring

Think Spring
     Doesn’t the home always look bare and dull after we put away the Christmas decorations and lights?  It’s nice to create a new display with something you already have...  just take a look outside for inspiration.  I created a new accessory for the mantel that was inexpensive and easy to assemble.
     
1.     First I cut two small branches from a birch tree.  I like the birch tree because of it’s thin branches with multiple shoots. 

 
2.     Next I took a small block of green floral foam, glued it to a base of cardboard, and stuck the branch in it.  I discovered the block was not evenly balanced and leaned forward.  To balance it I hollowed out the back of the foam and glued a small rock to it. 


3.     Then I cut a piece of natural burlap into a square large enough to cover the base and fringed out each side about an inch.
4.     I placed the foam block with the branch in the center of the burlap.  I then put fiber fill around the base to fill it out a bit and gathered the corners of the burlap, tying them around the base of the branch with a piece of jute. 
5.     For the perfect finishing touch, I purchased a nice looking bird from a floral shop and hung it on the branch.     

No comments:

Post a Comment