Monday, March 18, 2013

Home At Last - 3rd in a Series



    I am going to show you the transformation of my Master Bedroom using a simple painting technique, creating stripes on the wall.   It has been awhile since I posted an article about my home, therefore this is long overdue.  The paint  has been done for a while but of course there is always fiiniishing touches that are not quite done.
 

Before

This is what the room looked like when I purchased the home.


     Painting stripes on the walls will add fisual interest to any room.   The bedroom space is small, 12' X 8 '.  The first thing you will want to do is measure  your room and determine the appropriate size of the stripe.  I chose a 12" wide stripe.  When you enter the room you will start on the wall that you are facing. 

 
 

Color Palette
The Duvette and Euro shams are the yellow floral.
Pillow shams are red check.
 


     My floral bedding has so many colors I could draw from.   The base color is Sherwin Williams #6120 Believable Bluff, it is a color I do use often.  In this case I painted the whole room Believable Bluff, including the ceiling, in a flat finish.   Painting the ceiling the same color as the walls makes the room very cozy.   Once the base coat is finished it is easy to lay out the stripe.  Using a new role of painters tape gives enough weight to use it as  a plumb line.   Start at the top of the ceiling and let the tape drop down.  You may check the line with a level.  Make sure you smooth and secure the edges of the tape so the paint does not bleed through in any spot.  Once the tape is secure paint the 12" measured stripe the second chosen color.  The second color I used was Sherwin Williams #0078 Sunbeam Yellow in an eggshell finish.  When using two different paint colors in a room you will use different finishes in order to create contrast.



Lay out the stripe with blue painters tape.
 
 
     Once the paint has dried, carefully remove the blue tape.  Sit back and enjoy your accomplishment and start thinking about the next room you want to transform. 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment